Reiki Talk – Explaining the Modality
What is Reiki? How do you explain it?
Every Practitioner has a different way of speaking about Reiki. Some descriptions are simpler to understand and more “professional-sounding” than others. Fortunately, today much of the general public does have an inkling about what Reiki is, which makes it easier to discuss it with people.
When I first became a Practitioners in 2006, most people had never even heard of Reiki. As a newcomer to the modality, and having not received any specific instruction about introducing and discussing it with potential recipients, I found it quite daunting as to how to explain what Reiki is and how it helps on a physical, mental/emotional and spiritual level. All I knew is that Reiki brings many benefits and I wanted to share it with whomever would be open to receiving a session. And really, I wanted to share it with the world!
When we speak about Reiki, we do want to sound professional and not like Reiki is some form of “magic”. Because I believe that many people tend to think of energy work with a sense of skepticism. And it is okay if people are a bit skeptical. However, when people are at least open to experiencing Reiki, they enter a whole new place of relaxation and serenity.
Here are a few of my suggested “talking points”. These are a series of statements that I offer to my Level I students who are just setting out on their Reiki path. I suggest they choose several of these statements as a basis for discussing Reiki with others, especially when speaking with those that are not familiar with this modality.
- Reiki is a technique of relaxation and stress reduction that also promotes healing.
- Reiki is a safe, gentle, non-invasive healing technique.
- It stimulates the body’s own natural healing process.
- Reiki complements any traditional medical treatment.
- Reiki carries no side effects and is never harmful.
- Reiki creates a healing environment within the body.
- Reiki helps correct or “re-balance” the energy flow within and around the body to bring it back to a positive state of health.
- A Reiki session is deeply relaxing. When the body goes into a state of deep relaxation, the healing process begins.
- Reiki is a complementary and alternative modality.
- It is considered a natural, holistic healing system.
- Reiki is considered a form of “energy healing.”
- Reiki helps one find their “place of inner peace.”
- Reiki is similar to meditation, and brings in feelings of calmness and relaxation.
And what I also personally might use as an analogy is this: “You are familiar with massage? Reiki is slightly different in that it is a light touch or non-touch. Yet Reiki is like massage for the SOUL!”